Damaged Product Process
- Verify the delivery address is correct.
- Verify piece count and note on delivery receipt.
- Inspect packaging for visible damage.
Shortage at Time of Delivery
If the shipment is short, note the quantity of cartons or skids missing. Make sure the carrier signs all copies of the carrier bills and call your Customer Service Representative. Carriers will not honor claims related to shortage after a shipment has been received without notation of shortage.
Damage Noted at Time of Delivery
Note the bill of lading or delivery receipt as “damaged product” before the driver leaves, receive the product, and call your Customer Service Representative. If the driver refuses to wait, record his/her full name on the carrier bill and note that the product is damaged. The notation of “subject to inspection” or “packaging/carton damage” is not a valid way to report damage during delivery.
Damage Noted After Delivery
If damage is noticed after the delivery receipt is signed “clear of damage” (aka concealed damage) follow these instructions:
- LTL Carrier: Concealed damage must be reported within 5 business days of delivery. Contact the local terminal to report the damage. Record the time, date, and to whom the request is made. Packaging material must not be discarded and the shipment cannot be moved from the original delivery address. If the shipment is moved from the original point of delivery, all freight claims become null and void. Take pictures of the damaged product and packaging. Then, contact your Customer Service Representative to report the concealed damage.
- Truckload Carrier: Take pictures of the damaged product and packaging within 5 days of delivery. Then, contact your Customer Service Representative.
To view a PDF of these guidelines, click here.
How to Receive & Inspect KI Product
Shipping and handling is a critical step in the ordering process. We want to ensure a positive experience upon final delivery, but we understand that damage may occur during transit. If you observe any issues while inspecting KI product, this video will provide direction for how to report back to KI so we can replace or repair damages.